With the recent struggles for the Miami Heat, Lebron James’ MVP award chase has taken a huge blow. While he continues to miss the big shots, his competition for the award has stepped up their games. Here is a look at the other guys who should be considered for this year’s NBA MVP award…
NBA MVP Race Heating Up
5. Russell Westbrook…this OKC point guard is averaging 22.5 points, 8.5 assists and nearly 5 rebounds per game. This guy can ball, but his chances of a MVP award in the near future are slim as he is working along side the best pure scorer in the game, Kevin Durantula. He is currently 13th in scoring and 8th assists while leading the Thunder to a 40-23 record as of now, while they currently sit in the 4th spot in the Western conference.
4. Dirk Nowitzki…the Dallas Maverick star just finds a way to get it done. The 7 foot German has been around since 1998 and continues to do work, whether it is in the post or behind the arc. He is averaging 23 points with 6.6 rebounds (23 and 8 in career), while shooting 43% from threes and 53% from the field. This guy is just solid. I used to hate on him because of his ugly looking game, but I can’t do it anymore. His style and work ethic has made my opinion of him change and he continues to hang around as an elite player. He has the Dallas Mavs sitting at the number 2 seed in the West and is looking to grab his 2nd MVP award while doing so.
3. Lebron James…Yes, the Heat have struggled. Yes, the Cavs had a better record last year with James. Yes, everyone now hates him…but, you can’t deny his talent and athletic ability that continues to take the league by storm. His numbers are amazing, but he cannot seem to find his touch when it counts at the end of games. Lebron is averaging 26 points, 7 assists, and 7 rebounds. He is a triple double threat every single night, but can he lead the Heat to a championship? I don’t think so. I think Lebron is better when he is the only real threat on the court. He was able to do whatever he wanted, when he deemed it necessary. Now he has to think about D-Wade and Bosh crying in the locker room after games…waaaaah, don’t hurt me Lebron.
2. Dwight Howard…The Orlando Magic center is getting it done this year…because he has no chouce. With no other big man on the roster that can get it done offensively, Howard has stepped up his scoring. The beast in the middle is averaging 23 points, 14 rebounds and 2 blocks. He plugs up the middle and grabs all the fuckin rebounds (thanks Bynum, ), while the Magic continue to launch threes. The Magic sit in fourth place thanks largely to Howard’s effort. His performance in the 2010-2011 season has been MVP worthy, but my award goes to….
1. DERRICK ROSE…the Chicago kid is willing the Bulls to what most likely will be a 2nd seed in the Eastern Conference. The Bulls have dealt with injuries (Boozer and Noah) all season long, but DRose has kept his team together and has them playing great basketball as of late. He is averaging 24.5 points, 8 assists, and 4.3 rebounds this season and has the city of Chicago buzzing…and it ain’t about Jordan.
Posted in: NBA